Thursday, April 5, 2012

She Will Prepare for Baby's Arrival!

We have less than two weeks until Amelia's arrival and we are so excited!  Well, mostly excited and a LOT of scared.  I'm actually not worried as much about managing two kids but more worried about the lack of sleep we are going to get for the next year.  Morgan is a great sleeper and I'm really hoping we are able to get Amelia on a solid sleep routine by 6 months.  Hey, a girl can dream!

Speaking of sleep and dreaming, we have been working on Amelia's nursery.  The original walls in her room were painted with a football theme, yardlines and Green Bay Packer stickers included.  My adoring husband painted the walls a light green/moss color, but it looked pretty pukey (spelling?).  I picked out another color and this time we ended up with a brighter, light green.  While I liked the color, we both agreed something was off.  All of the trim in our house is the original oak and we had been talking about painting the trim white.  I suggested Matt try out the white trim and baseboards upstairs first, more specifically in Amelia's nursery.  While it took him quite a while (most of his projects do), I think he did an amazing job.  I am sorry I can't find a before picture, but below is one picture of the wall color with the white trim, the baseboard was added later.  Can you tell I love bright colors?
 After all of the baseboard was put up (I promise I will show more pics on a later post), Matt moved the crib and changing table/dresser from Morgan's room into the nursery.  The room looks really bright and clean, but it definitely needs some sprucing up.  We purchased the below blanket (with Amelia's name) on Etsy from Baby Beulah and we LOVE the way it turned out! 

I blew up the bird design so that we could create some matching wall art for Amelia's room.  First I painted four 12x12 canvases, two in light pink and two in light blue.  I then cut out the birds from 4 coordinating pieces of scrapbook paper.

I then painted on legs and beaks.

I still need to modge podge the bird bodies onto the canvases, but the below picture gives you the basic idea of how they will look.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, I took this one with my phone versus my camera and the lighting was not very good.  I think the pictures still need one more thing, but I will probably hang them up this weekend and hope the last finishing details will just come to me.  If you have any suggestions for finishing details, please leave a comment!

Now that Amelia's room is finally coming together, Morgan's room is looking a little bare.  Currently all we have in her room is her big girl twin bed (pic below) and some baskets of books and toys.  I need to work on a dress or something for her, but that is another project to be completed at another time!

I searched long and hard before finding a super bright and fun owl bedding from Target.  This is not the same owl bedding they sell in the stores as it was an online only deal.  Due to the rails, we can only fit the pillow sham but I started on a matching owl pillow long before I realized our comforter dilemma. 

I got the basic body pattern from here, but I added a more detailed and bright applique face because of the owls I saw sold on etsy here.  I have NEVER appliqued before and to be honest, I am not sure I really did this correct, but I had a lot of fun learning and I think the end result is pretty good.
After cutting out the front and back pieces for the body, I hand drew the pattern for the face.  I used a zig zag stitch to attach the whites of the eyes and the small triangle nose.  I am 99% positive this pillow would NOT last one wash!
I then used a zig zag stitch to attach the face onto the front side of the body and added black button eyes.  I was pretty much in major like with this project already but by the time I saw the cute face all put together I fell madly in love!

After sewing the front and back pieces (two different fabrics) together, I ended up with the above pillow.  I still need to get some batting and finish it off, but I am so darn proud of this little owl.  I think it turned out great and I know it will fit into Morgan's room really well.  I wouldn't mind making a bigger one, but it isn't too high on my to do list right now.

Next projects I want to finish up include a small birdhouse mobile for the nursery.  The bird houses are painted, for the most part, but I do want to add some black and white details to the bottom and do some little touch ups.  Still not sure how I will hang them, but I have faith something will come to me! 

I'll try to post again tomorrow as we did try out two new recipes in the past two weeks and they were delicious!  Thanks for the positive feedback and comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment