Sunday, April 8, 2012

She Will Find Her Own Recipes to Try

I made two new and delicious recipes over the past two weeks and I am very proud to say that I found them myself!  I did end up pinning them after I found them, but I do enjoy the satisfaction of starting my own pin chain. 

The first recipe is from one of my favorite blogs to read: Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour

Crock Pot Pot Roast Sliders with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
Degree of Difficulty: 4
Mess Factor: 4
Taste: 7
As I have mentioned before, I really do love crock pot recipes that only require dumping in all of the ingredients, setting the pot to low, and coming back 6-8 hours later.  This is one of those recipes.  The pot roast sauce used a lot of powdered dip and seasoning mixes. 

The sauce was poured over a beef roast, set on high, and after 3-4 hours, I was able to shred the meat with a fork.  Normally I prefer to use the low setting for 6-8 hours, but I didn't get to grocery shopping until later in the day, so I had to go with the faster setting.  In the future I would definitely use the low setting for 6-8 hours instead because I do think the meat would be more tender and easier to shred. 

The real recipe suggests making sliders, but I only had leftover hamburger buns, so we had full sandwiches.  I used the broiler to melt pepper jack cheese on the buns and slathered on the creamy chipotle sauce. 
The end result was pretty tasty.  I used the leftover meat as pot roast with mashed potatoes and carrots for dinner the next night.  The leftover chipotle sauce was mixed with miracle whip and hard boiled eggs to make some tasty egg salad sandwiches!

The next recipe we tried out this week was inspired by a Taco Pie pin I found on Pinterest.  After pinning the picture, I clicked on the link but it didn't go anywhere.  Since I was already in the mood for Mexican, I ended up googling Taco Pie and picked/pinned a new recipe from Pillsbury.  Not only was this recipe really easy, but it was super tasty as well!

Superspeedway Taco Pie 
Degree of Difficulty: 5
Mess Factor: 4
Taste: 8
In order to make this recipe a little healthier I used ground turkey instead of ground beef and I really don't think we lost out on taste.  The first step is to brown the ground turkey, mix in 1/2 cup water, a packet of taco seasoning (low sodium of course), and a small can of sliced olives.

While the meat was browning, a package of crescent rolls was used to make the crust and topped with 1/2 cup of crushed tortilla chips.  The original recipe called for corn chips, but I think the tortilla chips worked just as well for the crunchy texture and didn't add as much salt. 

Once the meat was done cooking, it was added to the crust, topped with sour cream, shredded cheese, and another 1/2 cup of tortilla chips. 

The pie was then placed in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.  It came out looking and smelling delicous.  We sliced it up, topped it with salsa and devoured our slices pretty quickly!  This has been just as good for leftovers this past week as well. 
This has probably become one of my new favorite recipes and will definitely be added to the rotation.  The Taco Pie is so good, I might even contemplate making this for company and that's not something I take lightly!  Prep time was pretty minimal and it was a great way to get rid of leftover tortilla chips, salsa, and sour cream. 

I'm in my last week of pregnancy, so not exactly sure what this week will bring in terms of getting projects done.  My parents were in town this past Easter weekend and they were a HUGE help in getting Amelia's nursery ready.  We just have a couple of art projects left to finish and hang up, then I will take the final pics and make the final reveal of her room!

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment