Tuesday, January 10, 2012

She Will Want to Renovate Her Kitchen!

Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, I need to go in small steps.  First step...updated bar stools! 

We bought 2 bar-height chairs for $25 at a garage sale this past summer, knowing that we would eventually cover the cushion with new fabric.  This is an incredibly easy project that really only includes the cost of fabric, which you can usually buy on sale or with a coupon at your favorite craft/fabric store.  In this case, I chose an outdoor canvas that was 50% off at my local JoAnn fabrics.  I decided on the outdoor canvas as I wanted something a little more durable that would stand up to a wet cloth wiping it down. 

  • 1 Yard Fabric (Obviously this will depend on how many cushions you are covering and their size, but I bought 1 yd to cover both cushions and still have plenty leftover)
  • Staple Gun
  • Stools/Chairs
Completion Time: 30-45 minutes

Below is a before picture of the chair.  You can't tell from the picture, but the fabric is stained/marked up with food/crumbs I am unable to vacuum or wipe off. 

My wonderful husband unscrewed the cushions from the chairs earlier in the day because he worries about me lifting, but I'm pretty sure anyone could do this.  I laid out the fabric on the dining room table and placed the cushion on top.  I just cut around the cushion so that I would have enough to wrap over the edge, not a lot of measuring or precision involved! 

Once the fabric was cut, it was time to use the staple gun.  This is my first time with a staple gun, but it was really easy and I must admit, a lot of fun!  My hubbie helped me hold the fabric tight while I went around the edges and stapled down fabric. 

It's not very pretty, but no one is going to see the bottom of the cushion, so I wans't really worried about how the final product would look on the bottom.

After screwing the cushion back into the chair, we have an updated chair for the kitchen island!  I think it is a vast improvement over the previous black canvas.  It's a lot brighter and will bring in a nice pop of color to the kitchen.  Plus, the whole project took about 30 minutes and cost me about $10!


No comments:

Post a Comment