Friday, January 13, 2012

She will Make Breakfast!

I actually really love to cook and bake, but I am AWFUL at taking pictures of my tasty creations.  This is probably due to the fact that while my food usually tastes good, I don't perform so well on the presetation portion.  Since cooking the recipes I find on Pinterest happens almost daily, I resolve to be more dilligent and take pictures not only of the finished product, but also of the cooking/baking process! 

While time doesn't always allow for it, I do love to make breakfast.  Some of my favorite family memories include breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  I don't have a ton of breakfast recipes pinned, but I have definitely been make a lot of the recipes I do find!

Since I don't have pictures of everything, some of the items below won't contain pictures, but they will contain reviews of the recipes and tips for anyone looking to try them out.  I will also include a degree of difficulty, a mess factor, and a taste grade, all on 1-10 scales.  Plus, I will always link back to the original poster so the owner gets the credit and you can easily find the full recipes!

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Degree of Difficulty: 5
Mess Factor: 7
Taste: 9
I made these pancakes for Boxing Day (December 26) breakfast and I thought they tasted great.  They were a great consistency and the cinnamon glaze really did make syrup unnecessary for most people (my husband prefers to drench all pancakes in syrup).  Not sure if this was supposed to happen, but I liked how the glaze carmelized and got a little crispy, adding a different texture to the dish.  The cinnamon glaze does add to the mess factor as it can ooze out of its plastic bag when not in use.  All in all, definitely worth another try!

Pumpkin Pancakes
Degree of Difficulty: 3
Mess Factor: 4
Taste: 7
I must preface this review by saying that I LOVE all things pumpkin!  I also need to let you know that this recipe was originally for pumpkin cinnamon roll pancakes, basically the recipe above but with pumpkin in the pancake batter.  I didn't want to deal with the cinnamon glaze again (pure laziness), so I just made the pumpkin pancakes.  I am pretty sure this recipe is missing the sugar as the glaze adds the sweetness, so it was definitely lacking in that department.  Even with that said, I thought the pancakes were very fluffy (more so than the original recipe) and were very tasty.  Adding syrup pretty much added the necessary sweetness back in, so I really didn't notice the lack of sugar too much.

Cream Cheese Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
Degree of Difficulty: 4
Mess Factor: 4
Taste: 8
One of our good friends gets Kraft cream cheese for free.  They had a case in their garage and for Christmas presented us with 12 packages of cream cheese.  This means that I have been making a LOT of dishes with cream cheese and this might be one of my favorite.  The original recipe is for Cream Cheese Banana Nut bread, but I'm not a big fan of nuts and I LOVE chocolate, so I used one cup of mini chocolate chips instead of chopped pecans.  I'm not sure if the change in chocolate caused the loaves to fall or if I put them away too early (they came out of the oven around 10pm and I was tired).  Either way, the end result was very tasty and I was able to catch one picture before the last of the 2nd loaf was eaten!

Avocado Eggs Benedict with Chipotle Hollandaise
Degree of Difficulty: 8
Mess Factor: 8
Taste: 10
I LOVE chipotles and I LOVE Eggs Benedict, so I thought this was a perfect combination.  Be forewarned the degree of difficulty comes from poaching eggs, which is a skill I have yet to master.  I do own an egg poacher (skillet with four little cups for the eggs) and that makes it easier, but I never know how long to cook the eggs to get the right consistency.  Plus, this uses a LOT of pans/skillets/pots, so it was kind of a pain to clean up but definitely worth it!  So good in fact, that I may make again this weekend when my parents come to town!

Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Degree of Difficulty: 3
Mess Factor: 3
Taste: 10
This cake is AMAZING!  Both my husband and I were raving about it the moment it hit our lips!  I have already had thirds and I only made it this morning.  If you have a brunch or small crowd for breakfast, this recipe would be perfect.  It fits into a 9x9 inch pan so it doesn't make a ton, but more than enough for a small breakfast gathering.  We will definitley be adding this in to the breakfast rotation!


Good luck with all of your cooking and baking this weekend!  I know I have several items on the agenda for this weekend, so I will plenty to post about next week.  Plus, I have one sewing project and one design project I am working to finish up tonight!

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment