Monday, March 19, 2012

She Will Celebrate St. Patrick's Day Without Pinterest (Gasp)!

You read that correctly.  It's been another crazy week, with Morgan and I staying at my parent's house for most of the past week, and we really didn't use Pinterest at all this week.  As I mentioned in at least one previous post, I LOVE the holidays and St.Patrick's Day is one of my faves.  We invited some friends over for some Irish fare and I think it went really well.  While the corned beef and honey glazed carrots were pretty much straight from the package to the table, I did research and try out a new recipe for cabbage and potatoes.  Read on to hear all about it!

Cabbage and Potatoe Bake
Degree of Difficulty: 6
Mess Factor: 8
Taste: 7
I am not a big fan of cabbage, but my mom had told me about this Emeril recipe and I decided it was worth a try.  I will shamelessy toot my own horn and say that Matt and I did a fantastic job!  We chopped up one cabbage and 3-4 potatoes, placing them in a large roasting pan (future note: either use tin foil on the bottom or heavily spray with Pam as the potatoes do stick to the pan).  We fried up some bacon to crumble on top, then cooked up onions in the bacon grease.  The onions and bacon grease were poured on top of the cabbage and potatoes.  Finally, we added two cups of chicken stock, covered the roasting pan with aluminum foil and cooked in a 350 oven for 1 1/2 hours. 

All in all, this recipe wasn't too difficult but any time cooking bacon is involved it automatically increased my difficulty and mess factor.  I almost always delegate this duty to my husband because I am not a fan of the frying portion.  I much prefer to place the bacon on a roasting pan and stick it in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, but that would have taken too long. 

We also served some "gold" jello with dinner, which is now a new favorite for Morgan.  I'll have to post some pictures later this week of Morgan devouring our jello jigglers!  Our talented friends also shared with us a cheese ball and a grasshopper pie.  Both were delicious and all leftovers were gone by the end of Sunday! 

I made some trips to Joann (50% off entire store) and Michael's this weekend, so hopefully I have enough supplies to keep me busy for the next couple of weeks.  I am in the last month of pregnancy and my feet have ballooned to epic proportions.  I am trying to keep them up as much as possible while still getting things done.  Matt and I have a lot of work to do before the nursery is done, so we are really focusing on that this week.  I have a feeling cooking will be at an all time low, but hopefully sewing and craft projects will still get done!

Lori
 

No comments:

Post a Comment