Alright, on to more exciting stuff...bedroom art! Shortly after we moved into our home, Matt and I bought new bedding for our master bedroom. The bedding is predominantly brown with nature accents in blue, green, white, and beige. We have quite a bit of wall space and started looking for art to hang on the walls that would fit in with the nature theme of the bedding. Something 3D or with more texture appealed to us and our aesthetic. While we were out at Pier 1, we saw a large piece of art made with wood and nails. The body of the art piece was wood, painted red, and then a decorative design was installed on the wood with nails. The effect was really cool and to me, looked pretty easy to replicate.
Matt can cut wood and nail pieces together, but I was worried it would take too long for him to put together and that it would be too difficult for me to nail or lug around. Michaels was having a sale on their canvases that week, so I bought some larger canvases and headed over to Lowes to pick up a small sample can of green paint and several packages of bronze furniture tacks. I actually bought all of the packages of bronze furniture tacks. I'm sure I screwed up their ordering for several weeks since I had to keep going back to buy the packages!
Once at home, I painted the canvases, including the sides, in green. While the canvases were drying, I started sketching out some leaf designs. I knew I wanted to create a leaf design to go with the nature patterns that show up on our comforter. One day I will show you a picture of our comforter, along with the headboard Matt created, and this will all make sense!
After the paint dried, I just started pushing the tacks in. It was a little scary because the tacks definitely leave noticeable holes and I didn't want to have too many oops holes, but all in all, it went pretty quickly. At the end we decided to hammer in furniture tacks around the perimeter and I think it really gave the art a more finished look. I'm really sorry I don't have more pictures of each stage, but we started the project when we had our old camera and since then have replaced not only the camera, but also the laptop. In order to access those old pics, I would need to search through our external hard drive. Not exactly a fun time!
Below are some close ups of the two pieces I did finish.
We only have two pieces complete right now, but I do think the wall would look better with three in a row or 4 in a square/rectangle layout. I'm hoping to post some more pics later this week on the whole master bedroom, so I'll probably ask for some feedback then. In the meantime, enjoy!